Save Our Libraries: resources
Some context for the Save Our Libraries flashmob …
- This Guardian article gives some useful background. There’s also a very funky ‘Find your nearest protest‘ map!
- You can keep an eye on which UK libraries are under threat, and see a list of cuts by local authority, at Public Libraries News.
- Voices for the Library has a great post about read-ins, where they’re happening and how to set one up.
- In local terms, here’s what Cambridgeshire County Council has to say in its latest press release, but I’d also recommend reading the release from August 2010, which has a little more meat in it.
Best of all, here’s a great piece of writing by Girl in the Moon that we’ll be distributing on Saturday.
Librarians being the zany, creative people they are, there’s no shortage of great advocacy resources already available. I’ve been inspired by, and borrowed from, the following sources today …
- WalkYouHome’s round-up of library advocacy posters (image above shamelessly pinched …)
- John Kirriemuir’s perennially brilliant Use Libraries and Learn Stuff image;
- and, of course, Phil Bradley’s wartime images poster set.
Thank you all, not just for the images but for inspiration and encouragement.
Edit: For more flashmob action, there’s a read-in at Arbury Court Library from 2-3pm.